A non-exhaustive list of story ideas I’ve given up on:
- The ten fanfic works in progress I mentioned in part two of this series that went on to have better lives as story challenges for other people.
- The Worlds of Day and Night. This was to be a speculative novel in which society is divided into two main groups: diurnal people (who are awake during the day) and their nocturnal counterparts. I gave up on this for two reasons.
- One: I didn’t have much of the story figured out beyond the actual concept as I’ve just explained it, and–
- Two: I discovered that there is a book called Plus One by Elizabeth Fama that has done something very similar.
- Matter. A story about a trans character and her lesbian girlfriend that I really want to read but am absolutely not the right person to write.
- Sidekick. The story of a guy who has always been ‘friend-zoned’ and his long-suffering romantic interest who is trying to explain to him why he’s an entitled prick. A fairly thinly veiled feminist rant.
- Tears at the Kitchen Sink. A really dark domestic thriller that I might resurrect one day but simply do not have the skills (or the emotional fortitude) to do justice to as of right now.
- Woodwork. As above.
- Fairytale Smashed. As above, but not so original.
- Following the Wind. A concept novel set in a contemporary world the same as ours with one main difference: family means nothing. You’re born and whoever wants you, raises you, but – for the most part – you’re on your own.
- Untitled. A vampire novel I hadn’t fully thought through and can now see is just full of overdone tropes.
- The Widow’s Window. A horror novel that I’ve abandoned because I don’t actually like horror. Do not ask me where I got the idea from, because I have no idea!
- Dark as Day. A short story about a man who is convinced the sun has stopped shining. (Yeah, it’s a little weird. Not sure where I was going with that.)
- The Spirit that was Intended. About a ghost who’s also a groom. Not so much a story idea as a terrible pun.
- The Spoon Thief. A children’s story based around spoon theory.
I’m aware this is a really weird mix. Some of these I’ve had in the back of my head for almost ten years. Needless to say, my brain can be a bit of an odd place.